I teach sixth grade English language arts, ELA. One initiative my school has implemented this year is Individualized Daily Reading or IDR. Individualized Daily Reading is a time for students to read for an extended period of time and while teachers encourage them to choose books that are at their independent reading level. Often, students have difficulty choosing books to read during their IDR time. The last five to ten minutes of IDR time during the alloted period is used to conduct book discussions. These book talks are valuable; however, students choose books outside of school, often without guidance. The blog changes this.
I created this blog with the purpose of sharing books with my ELA students. My blog will encourage my students to respond to book reviews and even post their own reviews. I envision my students reading one of my reviews, or another student's review, and being motivated to read the featured book if they have not already done so. Some students may ask questions about the story's plot. The students who have read the book, will be inspired to react to the posted reviews with their own thoughts. The top of the blog also has a Shelfari book shelf with recommended titles. If a student clicks on a book jacket from the shelf, he or she is taken to a page with a plethora of information related to the book.
My blog will enhance my ELA classroom by providing students with an outlet to read about and discuss literature. I envision the blog as a tool for students to share their opinions regarding books they have read or are intending to read. The blog has the potential to develop into a literature learning community that encourages collaboration. I also see the blog as a resource for parents. Quite often parents ask me at parent conferences for my recommendation on books their child should read. With this blog, parents have a place that they can go to see what other students are reading and what I recommend for my students. "Book Talk with Mr. W" will definitely help create a culture of readers in my classroom.
No comments:
Post a Comment