Imagine
a classroom full of bright-eyed students sitting quietly, facing forward,
listening to every word you have to say.
Everyone in the classroom is focused on you, digesting each tidbit of
information that you present. When you
give the class their homework, they take out their notebooks and write down the
assignment and take notes on the directions.
Then silently they take out their books and begin working. Only in our dreams! We have a few students like this, but we also
have many who are not. This is where
behaviorism comes into play. Behaviorism is based on stimulus and response,
which results in rewards and punishment.
Two well-known behaviorists were John B. Watson
and B. F. Skinner. They believed that
behavior, or learning, was the result of stimulus causing reactions Standridge,
M. (2010). Further, they believed that
by using rewards and punishment, one could shape behavior and learning. According to Pitler, Hubbell, and Kuhn (2012), effort is a
very important factor in achievement.
In order for students to understand that effort impacts learning, we
must use the strategy of reinforcing effort.
I find that lack of effort by my students is the single biggest issue I
face in my classroom. I have very intelligent students that perform below their
ability. Yet, I have other students that
are high achievers even though they are lower functioning students. I believe it is all about effort. Pitler, et
al. (2012) believe that students can be learn how effort impacts learning. A good example of teaching effort is in athletics. I coach shot put and discus. Often I see my athletes going through the
motions. I use technology to teach the
impact of effort on the outcome of their throws. The technology I use is a camera and a video
app. I video tape students with my iPad
or iPhone and replay the video, pointing out the effort of my athletes when
they throw. After showing the replay, I
ask my athletes to now go into the ring and throw with more effort. We then compare the distances of both throws. Nine out of ten times the second throw is
quite a bit longer. In the classroom, I
use responders. I find that students put
forth more effort because they are motivated by the technology and instant
feedback. Often I will incorporate a PowerPoint Jeopardy game with the
responders and offer extra credit for the winning team. This is extremely motivating and effort
increases. This is consistent with the
behavorist’s belief that learning must be active and positive rewards
motivate students (Smith, K. 1999).a
I believe in the power of rewards and
consequences. In basketball I keep track
of loose ball recoveries. I started doing
this because I found that my players were not very aggressive and lacked
effort. So I started tallying loose ball
recoveries and charting them by player in Excel. After each game I would show my team the
chart. Soon the players were showing up
at my door in the morning asking to see the chart. I noticed that within three games the totals
for loose ball recoveries doubled. After
six games they doubled again. Each game
we set goals. By the end of the season loose ball recoveries correlated with
wins. The team improved their win total
by four games over the previous season. The
team attributed it to the loose ball chart.
In my classroom, I have an activity called Tour
de Read. I love cycling so I wanted to
incorporate my love for reading and cycling into an activity. I created a montage of outdoor scenery
photos from the Internet and hanged them around my room. I placed mile markers every ten feet. Every student went to the Internet and
printed a picture of a bike they wanted to ride. Some chose mountain bike, others chose road
bike, and some even chose unicycles.
Each night students read and log their reading times. On Friday we tally the minutes and move our
bikes. I give a yellow paper jersey for
overall leader, green jersey for most minutes read for the week, and a pink
polka dotted jersey for most minutes read in a day. Then those students get their pictures take
on a podium in one of my biking jerseys while I played Queen’s Bicycle song. The picture then are put on the wall in the
hall and on my webpage. The winners also
receive a small prize and certificate.
This is highly motivating to most of the children. It rewards reading outside of the
classroom.
One of the behaviorist’s theories is that for
rewards and punishments to be successful, they must be delivered in a timely
fashion (Smith, K. 1999). Online interactive games and simulations
accomplish this feat by providing instant feedback. Coolmath-Games has a plethora of interactive math games that
reinforce skills. There is repetition
and instant feedback. Another good site for interactive games is Interactive Sites for
Education. It
covers all areas of the curriculum. Both Coolmath
and Interactive Sites for Education
can be done at home or on an interactive whiteboard at school.
Homework for a purpose is a solid practice and
is supported by behaviorist. According
to Smith (1999), behaviorists believe
that in order to learn, one must have frequent practice. Classroom time is limited and there is often
very little time to practice the skills that were learned in class. Therefore, homework is a valuable tool. One initiative in my school is the flipped classroom. Teachers record lectures, instruction, or
demonstrations and post them to the Internet.
Students go home and watch the video for homework. They come back to the classroom the next day with
time to practice what they learned and ask questions if needed. The Flipped Learning Network (2014) defines
it as “school work at home and homework at school.” Another use of technology that supports
learning through homework, which is highly motivating is BrainPop. It
uses short video segments, which Dr. Orey states is an important aspect of
behaviorism. After each clip, there is a
short quiz, which provides instant feedback.
The topics are varied and motivating
Unfortunately, children in our classes and
activities are not always motivated, or give us their best effort, or even
behave appropriately. Behaviorism gives
us tools to manage behavior and learning. The environment we provide for our
students impacts their learning.
Sometimes we must use rewards and punishment to ensure that our students
are putting forth their best efforts and are behaving in an appropriate
manner. Today I had a track meet. The bus was late. When it finally arrived, the boys were
pushing and shoving to get on the bus. I
shouted up to the boys and asked them to stop. There was no change in behavior. Then I told them that if anyone pushed or
shoved again, they would stay back and not participate in the meet. The undesired behavior ceased
immediately. The threat of consequence,
not participating in the meet, motivated students to stop the inappropriate
behavior. I don’t believe rewards and
consequences works for all students, but I do believe that it works for most.
Resources
Flipped Learning Network / Homepage. (2014, May
12). Retrieved May 14, 2014, from http://flippedlearning.org/FLN
Laureate Education, Inc. (Producer). (2011).
Program four: Behaviorist learning theory [Video webcast]. Bridging learning theory, instruction and technology. Retrieved
from http://laureate.ecollege.com/ec/crs/default.learn?CourseID=5700267&CPURL=laureate.ecollege.com&Survey=1&47=2594577&ClientNodeID=984650&coursenav=0&bhcp=1
Pitler,
H., Hubbell, E. R., & Kuhn, M. (2012). Using technology with
classroom instruction that works (2nd ed.). Alexandria,
VA: ASCD.
Smith, K. (1999). The behaviourist orientation
to learning. In The encyclopedia of informal education. Retrieved
from http://infed.org/mobi/the-behaviourist-orientation-to-learning/
Standridge, M. (2010). Emerging Perspectives on
Learning, Teaching, and Technology. Behaviorism.
Retrieved from
http://www.etzacorp.co.za/akademia/Biblioteek/Emerging%20Perspectives%20on%20Learning,%20Teaching,%20and%20Technology.pdf
I love the idea of using the Tour de France in your classroom. As a student, I would have been one of those kids that wanted to always be wearing the yellow jersey. Kids get excited when they see their teacher excited about something. Bringing your love of bicycles into your classroom has probably really motivated some of your students. No matter the age group, I think small rewards or certificates are a great motivator for many students. I have found that even seventh graders love stickers and stamps. Many want to complete their work or agenda so that they can earn their stamp for the week. I think using simple rewards or praise can have consequences not just for the child that earns it but the student that sees it and thinks I want to earn that too. I really like BrainPop, I have found the science movies to be great ways to introduce students to a topic and they love the characters.
ReplyDeleteKarry,
ReplyDeleteI think I have some ADD tendencies. It is hard for me to do the same things over and over, year after year. The Tour de Read keeps me motivated because of my cycling passion. According to Duffy and McDonald (2008), our own learning styles show up in our teaching. It has been a positive activity for me because I am motivated to facilitate this reading incentive, and the students see this enthusiasm in me. Some issues that have arisen are the preparation of the awards, finding time in a busy week, and students being so motivated to win that they fudge their numbers. I continue to work to address these issues. I am going to look into Edmondo to keep track of and reward Tour results.
I am amazed that children are so taken by BrainPop. You would think that kids would be turned off by the hokiness of the videos. They are not. Often I use BrainPop as a reward for good behavior or for having their work done on time. Just as the behaviorists proclaim; the motivation works. Our science teacher uses BrainPop quite a bit and loves the way the characters introduce topics as well.
Thanks for the input. I appreciate it!
Tom
Resources
Lever-Duffy, J., & McDonald, J. (2008). Theoretical foundations (Laureate
Education, Inc., custom ed.). Boston, MA: Pearson Education, Inc.