Wednesday, November 12, 2014

GAME PLAN Resources And Needs

Tom Wilcox
November 12, 2014


Last week I determined two NETS-T standards that I felt I could work on to improve myself and my students. Those standards were:

NETS-T Standard 4.d:
Develop and model cultural understanding and global awareness by engaging with colleagues and students of other cultures using digital age communication and collaboration tools (International Society for Technology in Education, 2008).

And

NETS-T Standard 1.c:
Promote student reflection using collaborative tools to reveal and clarify students’ conceptual understanding and thinking, planning, and creative processes (International Society for Technology in Education, 2008).


In order to meet each of these standards, I created a GAME Plan.

To reach proficiency in the NETS-T Standard 4.d, I set the following goals:

·      I will collaborate with a classroom from another country using ePals.
·      My students will send emails, videos, Skyping with a classroom from another country to get to know their culture.
·      My students will correspond effectively (grammar, sentence structure, etc.) with the student they are matched with.

The resources I will need to carry out my plan are the following:

·      A Chromebook for each child
·      Parent permission slip (both paper copy and Google Form alternative)
·      Google account
·      An ePal teacher account
·      ePal student account per child
·      Partner classroom
·      Skype account
·      SmartBoard

To reach proficiency in the NETS-T Standard 4.d, I set the following goals:
·      I will create a virtual reflection journal in Google Docs to reflect upon each day’s lesson and use it as a model for students.
·      Students will create a virtual reflection journal in Google Docs.
·      Students will reflection using a virtual reflection journal in Google Docs to determine growth and areas of improvement in their learning.
·      Students will use their reflections to improve their academic weaknesses.

The resources I will need to carry out my plan are the following:
·      Google account
·      Reader writer notebook
·      SmartBoard

Prior to implementing each of my GAME Plans, I must survey my students to better understand their technology literacies, comfort levels with various media, and learning styles. If I know my students’ strengths and weaknesses, I can supplement various media to meet the diverse needs of my students (Laureate Education, 2009, b).  I will also make sure, prior to implementing my GAME Plan, that I have the support that I need within my classroom.  I will make sure that I teach myself the technology that I use prior to using it with my students.  Ross stated that teachers must know the adaptive technology their students are using (Laureate Education, 2009, b). I believe that rule should apply to all technology used in the classroom. On days that we Skype, I will be sure to involve the media specialist. That way, if we have any network problems, hardware issues, or software glitches, I will have support.  The special education teacher should also be involved in the implementation of the GAME Plan.  Together, we can plan modifications that must be made based on IEP’s and 504 plans.
            So far, I have taken a number of step beyond the initial GAME Plan. I have met with my house team to discuss each of my GAME Plans.  Through the multiple discussions, the world cultures teacher and I have agreed to team up on the ePal GAME Plan.  It fits in with her curriculum perfectly.  We will select a classroom to collaborate with together.  I have also
signed up for ePals and created 80 accounts for my students.  I am in the process of creating a parent permission slip and Google Form.  In addition to the mentioned steps that I have taken, I have met with the media specialist who is very excited to join our team for the venture.  He has added some great suggestions.  Finally, after meeting with the special education teacher, she has begum putting together a list of required modifications from each of the five IEP’s from my classroom.  Once this is complete we will get together and develop flexible technology goals for the special education students as well as any other student, gifted or otherwise, that need additional media alternatives.
          As far as my second standard goes, I have not made much progress yet. I have however, been learning how to create the type of form that I would need to create a virtual reflection journal.  I need to experiment with multiple format before I select one.  Maybe I will give students choices on this as well.
          Ross stated, technology allows us to reach many more students than we could with traditional print. He goes on to say that it also give us flexibility to meet the needs of all students(Laureate Education, 2009, a).  I believe my GAME Plan takes advantage of multiple technologies to meet the goals set in place by the NETS-T standards.

References
Cennamo, K., Ross, J. & Ertmer, P. (2009). Technology integration for meaningful classroom use: A standards-base approach. (Laureate Education, Inc., Customed.). Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, Cengage Learning.
International Society for Technology in Education. (2008). National education standards for teachers (NETS-T). Retrieved from http://www.iste.org/standards/nets-for-teachers
Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2009). Integrating technology across the content areas: Meeting students' needs with technology, part 1. Baltimore, MD: Author.
Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2009). Integrating technology across the content areas: Meeting students' needs with technology, part 2. Baltimore, MD: Author.





3 comments:

  1. “Computer conferencing allows students to engage directly in knowledge creation with others who are not physically present. By providing multiple perspectives, students are challenged to think more deeply about the topic at hand.” (Cennamo, Ross, Ertmer, 2009, pg.74) I love the ideas of communicating with students from other countries. In my Spanish classes they do not always have the opportunity to communicate with other native Spanish students. I think that communicating through skype or other forms of web communication would be helpful to my students as well. Have you had the opportunity to implement this? I would love to hear your thoughts on how it went.

    References

    Cennamo, K., Ross, J. & Ertmer, P. (2009). Technology integration for meaningful classroom use: A standards-based approach. (Laureate Education, Inc., Custom ed.). Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, Cengage Learning.












    ReplyDelete
  2. Tom,
    I am very impressed with your efforts to collaborate with your colleagues on this GAME plan. Depending on your school’s schedule, it can be extremely challenging to find time during the day to meet with fellow teachers.
    I am curious: have you given any thought to how students will prepare for their Skyping sessions with their ePals? Will students create questions to ask ahead of time? Will you ask them to take notes on their interactions with their distant peers? Will every individual student be paired with an ePal, or will they work in small groups?
    Do you “meet” (Skype) with the classroom teacher you are partnering with prior to having the students meet, or do you just exchange emails?
    Sorry to inundate you with questions about this process, but I am just so curious about how this works!
    As I’m sure you know, teacher modeling is a very important component of instruction and to creating an “invitational environment” (Cennamo, Ross, & Ertmer, 2009, p. 167). Cennamo, Ross, and Ertmer (2009) also promote that teachers instruct students on questioning, quality responding, peer interactions, group inquiry skills, and reflective journals. All of these skills are coming together in your ePals project! This is why I am so eager to hear your response; I want to try this project myself!

    Reference
    Cennamo, K., Ross, J., & Ertmer, P. (2009). Technology integration for meaningful classroom use: A standards-based approach. (Laureate Education, Inc. custom ed.). Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, Cengage Learning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Response From Tom Wilcox
    November 16, 2014

    Hello,
    I think the key to Skyping will be the communication between the collaborating teacher and myself. I would like to develop some guidelined between the teacher and myself prior to the skype interaction. Maybe a Skype session between the both of us. The guildlines would include what types of questions and what format we would use for questioning. I would like to video tape the interaction. To do this I would have to further research some ways to to this. As far as taking notes. I would prefer to not have the students take note intially. I believe it distracts from the interaction. If the session is taped, however, I could then see students take notes. All of my students would have an ePal account. We would Skype together though.

    I hope this helps! This is new to me so my plan may have to be modified as I become more familar with the whole process.

    Tom

    ReplyDelete