The
GAME Plan: Strengthening Two NETS-T Standards
I consider myself
technologically literate, however; one area I need to improve on is
collaborating online. I am somewhat shy,
so collaborating online is uncomfortable to me.
I have to tell myself that I make my students work outside of their
comfort zone quite often. I need to do
the same for myself. Most of my students
use some form of social networking daily.
I would like to tap into their ability to social network. According to
Will Richardson, “We now live in a world where even twelve-year-olds can create
their own global classrooms around the things about which they are most
passionate” (Bellanca, 2010). I want to give my students the tools to create
these global communities. I can begin by
scaffolding my lessons to ease my students into the world of global
collaboration. ePals is great place to
begin.
NETS-T Standard 4.d:
Develop and model cultural
understanding and global awareness by engaging with colleagues and students of
other cultures using digital age communication and collaboration tools (International
Society for Technology in Education, 2008).
Set Goals
· My students will send emails, videos, Skyping with a classroom from another country to get to know their culture.
· My students will correspond effectively (grammar, sentence
structure, etc.) with the student they are matched with.
Take Action:
· I will send home permission slips for my students’ parents to sign
to allow their students to participate.
· I will contact the teacher from the classroom I have selected and
set up a list of expectations (an emphasis on culture) and create a timeline.
Monitor Progress:
I will ask the following
questions throughout the collaborative learning experience:
· Is my class collaborating with a class from another country?
· Are my students learning about another culture?
· Are my students using multiple technology tools to correspond?
· Are my students effectively communicating with their counterparts?
· Do I need to modify my GAME plan?
Evaluate and Extend:
To determine if I have met my
goals, I will ask the following questions:
· Have my goals been met?
· If not, what could I do to meet these goals?
· What worked well?
· What could I improve for the future?
· How could I extend the project?
I believe that I
do a pretty good job reflecting within my classroom informally. I do not, however, write out formal
reflections that I keep in a notebook for future references. I understand that reflections are more than
descriptions, they can be in depth with shared feelings, critical perspectives,
and may even lead to creating goals. To
get to high-level reflection, one must take the time t work on writing deep
reflections. It is not easy: it takes time to develop these skills (Cennamo,
Ross, & Ertmer, 2009). I believe that I have to do a better job of
developing my students into self-reflectors.
Creating a virtual notebook with Google
Docs should give my
students the practice that they need to be better at reflecting upon their
academic achievements and needs. This
should improve their academic success.
NETS-T Standard 1.c:
Promote student reflection using
collaborative tools to reveal and clarify students’ conceptual understanding
and thinking, planning, and creative processes (International
Society for Technology in Education, 2008).
Set Goals
· I will create a virtual reflection journal in Google Docs to reflect upon each day’s lesson and use it as a model for
students.
· Students will reflection using a virtual reflection journal in
Google Docs to determine growth and areas of improvement in their
learning.
· Students will use their reflections to improve their academic
weaknesses.
Take Action:
· I will provide time each day for reflection.
· My students will reflect at least once a week (due to my classroom
set of five Chromebooks) in their virtual reflection journal in Google Docs.
· Students will set goals to improve any academic deficiencies.
Monitor Progress:
· Are the actions helping my students achieve the GAME Plan goals?
· Is the virtual notebook doable with only five classroom
Chromebooks?
· Are my students writing meaningful reflections?
· Are my students setting goals that are helping them improve
academically?
· Do I need to modify my GAME plan?
Evaluate and Extend:
To determine if I have met my
goals, I will ask the following questions:
· Have my goals been met?
· If not, what could I do to meet these goals?
· What worked well?
· What could I improve for the future?
· How could I extend the project?
The exercise to
use the GAME Plan to strengthen preficency in two NETS-T standards has given me
a better understanding of how the GAME Plan works. I have found that it is very efficient. The plan is easy
to follow when created. I like how it is
always being monitored and can be adjusted as needed throughout the
process. In the end, the evaluation
phase determines how the lesson can improve the next time it is implemented so
that students benefit from the best lesson possible.
References
Bellanca, J. (2010). 1st century skills: Rethinking how students
learn. Bloomington, IN:Solution Tree Press.
Cennamo, K., Ross, J. & Ertmer, P. (2009). Technology
integration for meaningful
classroom use: A
standards-base approach. (Laureate Education, Inc., Custom
ed.). Belmont, CA:
Wadsworth, Cengage Learning.
International
Society for Technology in Education. (2008). National education standards for
teachers (NETS-T). Retrieved from http://www.iste.org/standards/nets-for-teachers

Mr. W,
ReplyDeleteI think that your goals are worthy ones, and I especially like how specific you are when describing exactly what you will do, what your students will be expected to do, and how you will monitor these! Nice job.
The reflective journals are a great idea for students, but I am slightly confused about how you will implement these. You state that you will offer time for students to reflect daily, but that each student will only reflect once a week in their virtual reflection journals. Does this mean that students will reflect on paper and then go back and retype these? Or, will students take turns reflecting so that each gets a chance to reflect once over the course of the week?
I suggest that you have students write reflections daily. These could be as brief as an exit slip that they complete at the end of each period evaluating their own learning. Then, on their assigned day (due to limited computer access) students could review all their exit slips/reflections for the week, and summarize their learning for the week. This is what they would add to their virtual journals. This would encourage students not only to reflect daily, but also to look back at their progress, consider what they have accomplished, and to start considering their own next steps. Students would not all be in the same place - some would be reflecting on their past week, while others would be thinking only about that day’s lesson - but they don’t need to be. Not every student needs to be doing the same thing at the same time; in fact, they learn better when they are doing work that is specific to their needs (Theroux, 2011). By enforcing routine reflections, you will be enhancing student motivation. According to Theroux (2011), motivation increases and successful learning occurs when students begin to understand that they should learn from their mistakes. This means that they will be less afraid to make mistakes as they begin to see these as opportunities for growth as opposed to signs of failure (Theroux, 2011). Doing the daily reflections in addition to the once-a-week reflections, will get students to practice metacognition. Metacognition will help students to “make connections between their learning goals, the processes they use to achieve those goals, and the content they are learning” (Cennamo, Ross, & Ertmer, 2009, p. 170). This is extremely important in increasing student engagement!
Reference
Cennamo, K., Ross, J., & Ertmer, P. (2009). Technology integration for meaningful classroom use: A standards-based approach. (Laureate Education, Inc. custom ed.). Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, Cengage Learning.
Theroux, P. (2011, November 16). Intrinsic Motivation. Retrieved from http://members.shaw.ca/priscillatheroux/index.html
Hello,
DeleteI should clarify. I will have my students reflect daily in their reader writer notebooks. Once a week they will use their virtual reflection journal (due to limited technology resources.
Thanks for your suggestions. I will seriously consider them in the future.
Tom
Tom,
ReplyDeleteLike you, I am also afraid of putting myself out there on the Web professionally and technologically. Could this be because early in my career I was warned against posting online, interacting with 'could be anyone', and carrying on a digital life I may regret in years to come? Quite possibly as a young teacher I was dissuaded from getting too involved with others online because of the fear factor instilled in all of us at the time about new methods, gadgets, and networks.
Social media in my district is all about backstabbing, who said what, and when, which teacher should be fired immediately, and other such nonsense. I do not take part in any social media because of being warned away from it early in my career. Looking back, I can understand to some degree the warnings against digital fun for all to see, but now, I also think such a sweeping ban is unnecessary.
Villano says, "...federal and state legislation intend to guard students' safety online- but all they may be doing is keeping vital educational technology out of the classroom" (2008). By scaring many young teachers into doing things the way they have always been done, my district effectively raised an entire generation of teachers wary of online communications with students and those abroad. It is time now to change those patterns and break out of my comfort zone, like you suggest, and start making those important contacts and networks happen for my students and me.
Teaching them how to be safe and use the technology is key. Never giving them the chance to make those mistakes or branch out of their brick and mortar classroom is not teaching in the 21st century.
Good luck to you as you also embark on the new experience of networking online.
Lara
References
Villano, M. (2008). What Are We Protecting Them From. THE Journal, 35(5), 48-54. Retrieved October 12, 2014 from http://ezp.waldenulibrary.org/login?url=http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=ehh&AN=32023096&scope=site
Tom,
ReplyDeleteLike you, I am interested in E-pals. In our last class I did a bit of investigating, but I need to do more. What have you learned about the security for students? It seems that many parents may not seem comfortable with this form of collaboration unless they are assured that their child's identity is protected. Also, what is your objective? Are you planning on collaborating about specific topics? I am curious how you are thinking of incorporating this into the curriculum. According to Prensky in "Turning On the Lights" (2008), it is important to address the fact that many students are bored and do not see the relevance of school for their future lives. Collaborating with other classrooms around the world will allow students to experience views beyond their own and talk with students about what interests them. This is a very useful and relevant tool for the world outside of school as well.
I look forward to hearing about your successes and challenges with implementing E-Pals.
Marjorie
Reference:
Prensky, M. (2008, March). Turning on the lights. Educational Leadership, 65(6), 40-45. Retrieved from http://www.ascd.org/publications/educational-leadership/mar08/vol65/num06/Turning-On-the-Lights.aspx
I think that your first GAME plan will be a particularly exciting one for students. Since the standard states that you will “model cultural understanding and global awareness by engaging with colleagues ,” will you correspond with the teacher of that class (besides establishing expectations) so that your students can see that you are doing it too? I think that could be really powerful.
ReplyDeleteTom,
ReplyDeleteI can completely relate to your confession regarding standard 4.d! It is always assumed that teachers are at the utmost confidence level in everything that we do, but this is not always true! I found it very reassuring to listen to Peggy Ertmer when she discussed the importance of being both confident and efficient in your use of technology within the classroom at all times. Peggy says that a teacher who believes the technology they use will benefit their student's learning experience is usually the one who experiences the most success with it (Laureate Education, 2009). Actually Peggy's words remind me of what my mother always tells me, believers are achievers!
Thanks for the post Tom and good luck!
Nate P.
Reference
Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2009). Integrating technology across the content areas: Enriching content area learning experiences with technology, part 1. Baltimore, MD: Author.
Nathan,
ReplyDeleteThanks for your comments! I love your mom's saying. I am going to start using it! It is awesome!
Tom